It’s all too easy to do a quick search, pay in one click and wait for boxes to arrive. If you would rather support local businesses here in Alexandria this holiday season, it can be just as easy. Really.
Here are five ways to shop local this holiday season:
1. Hit the Streets for Alexandria’s Plaid Friday — Don’t stand in line outside the big box stores at 4 a.m. on Black Friday. Instead, sleep in a little bit and hit up Alexandria’s own local, independent shops. Plaid Friday this year includes an offer for a free plaid mask by local designer DMARAN when you spend $100 or more at participating stores, gift wrapping and a drawing to win a $50 gift card to an Old Town Boutique District business of your choice. Learn more here.
Shop at MadeinALX.com — Open 24/7, this new website is dedicated to showcasing local makers, crafters and artists.
From home goods to art, games to jewelry and beyond, MadeinALX.com makes it easy for you to find gorgeous items from local artisans.
3. Check out the Guide to Alexandria Holiday Shopping Online — Visit Alexandria’s new digital Guide to Alexandria Holiday Shopping features nearly 50 independent retailers and is packed with information about in-person and online store offerings plus more ideas like Black-owned businesses to buy from, where to get made-in-Alexandria gifts (see above!) and more.
4. Participate in Alexandria’s Shop Small Week — In addition to Plaid Friday, make sure you’re ready for Small Business Saturday, Museum Store Sunday and Cyber Monday (with discounts for online shoppers from local stores).
- Small Business Saturday – Nov. 28: Enjoy free parking, prizes from the Elf Patrol and nearly 50 independent boutiques featuring discounts or gifts with purchase.
- Museum Store Sunday – Nov. 29: Enjoy discounts of 20 percent at participating Alexandria museum stores plus 20 percent off Black history merchandise from Manumission Tour Company’s online store.
- Cyber Monday – Nov. 30: Promotional online offers from more than 30 Alexandria boutiques include discounts, gifts with purchase and free shipping.
5. Give Yourself a Chance to Win — From Dec. 4 – 6, follow @VisitAlexVA for three days of giveaways and your chance to win one of three $300 gift cards to a choice of local boutiques. Plus, now through Dec. 20, submit a receipt from your purchase at a participating independent retailer featured in Visit Alexandria’s Digital Guide to Alexandria Holiday Shopping for a chance to win a personalized video greeting from the region’s most beloved Santa. Learn more at VisitAlexandriaVA.com/Santa. Five winners will be selected each week during the giveaway period.