WBZ-TV’s Liam Martin reports.
– Home workout spaces have been all the rage during the pandemic, and a startup in Charlestown is out with a new unique workout machine.
– So we sent Liam Martin to check it out.
– 1, 2, so these are your jabs and crosses to the head.
LIAM MARTIN: This could be the next workout phenomenon, an at-home boxing system.
– What’s up, fighters? My name’s Eliza, and welcome to your 10-minute workout.
LIAM MARTIN: Eliza, one of the trainers for the Liteboxer system, records her routines for you at home from this studio in Charlestown.
How did you get into this?
– I love boxing. I love movement, and, when I came across Liteboxer, it was two of my favorite things that I already do.
ANTHONY CROUCHELLI: This is not your average heavy bag. This is heavy bag 10.0.
LIAM MARTIN: Anthony Crouchelli is one of the other trainers and Liteboxer’s Director of Talent.
So these are the gloves?
ANTHONY CROUCHELLI: These are the gloves, so I’ll help you put these on.
LIAM MARTIN: And he set out to find out if I have any with a lesson.
Do I need to check my health insurance policy, or am I going to be OK?
ANTHONY CROUCHELLI: [LAUGHS] I promise you, I got you.
LIAM MARTIN: Here’s how it works. You set your skill level, pick a song or follow along with a trainer like Eliza.
– Liam, you’re going to get these punches.
LIAM MARTIN: And then try to keep pace.
ANTHONY CROUCHELLI: Good.
LIAM MARTIN: You hit the pad that lights up in rhythm with the music.
ANTHONY CROUCHELLI: Nice.
There you go. Look at that. He’s already looking like a pro.
LIAM MARTIN: And even just five minutes of that can be exhausting.
ANTHONY CROUCHELLI: Good job, man! Well done!
– Whew, whew!
ANTHONY CROUCHELLI: What we do is we synchronize our lights to the rhythm-based punches, so every single time you’re punching, it has a performance background behind it, whether it’s power or it’s output or it’s speed or accuracy.
LIAM MARTIN: And perhaps the most fun part, you can compete against other users on each of those measures. Though I might already have you beat.
Now can we have you do it, and then your stats go in, and we pretend those are my stats?
ANTHONY CROUCHELLI: Of course. That’s why we’re friends. That’s how our friendship starts.
– [? That ?] Liteboxer goes from about $1,500 plus a monthly subscription of $29, similar to the Peloton situation. But Liam complained about how sore he was for a long time after this, so I think it works.
– This is a workout tool. It’s anger management. It’s a lot of things rolled into one.
– I’m going to get one for the studio, and we’re going to use it at commercial breaks, [? Briana. ?]